Does My Child Need an IEP?

Does My Child Need an IEP?

IEP stands for Individualized Education Program. An IEP is a written plan and legal document that follows the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). That is to say, IDEA is the special education law that protects the rights of students with disabilities.

Some things that should be included in an IEP:

  • Child’s current levels of performance.
  • Specific (measurable) goals that explain how and when performance should improve.
  • Changes to the way the child needs to be taught. These are often referred to as “accommodations” or “modifications.”
  • Any services or supports that will be provided (e.g. extra time, one-on-one support, technology to help) in order to reach and maintain goals.
  • Description of how and when progress towards the goals will be measured.

A child’s IEP includes specific types of help they need in order to perform to the best of their ability in school. Thus, it is important to have full evaluations done as part of the IEP process. This helps to make sure that the child’s IEP matches their unique strength and growth areas.

Should I look into an IEP?

  • Does your child have learning, attention, or behavioral issues that interfere with their ability to learn while at school?
  • Does your child spend a lot of time and effort on their work, and their grades remain lower than expected?
  • Is your child struggling inside or outside of the classroom, and you have already worked with the teacher to do all you can?
  • Does your child have a disability that can impact their learning at school?

If you answer “yes” to any of these questions, you may want to seek an evaluation for special education services to see if an IEP is an option for your child. Not sure how to do this? Read these posts to learn more about the process:

  1. Request an Evalution for Special Education Services. This post explains how to request an evaluation for special education and includes a sample letter to request a free evaluation from your district.
  2. The Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE) Process. If you disagree with the results of your IEP, you have the right to request a “second opinion” by the examiner of your choice. This post explains that process and provides you with a sample letter to request a free evaluation from your district. If your child attends school within 75-miles of one of our California locations (Bakersfield, Simi Valley, or Woodland Hills), you can select our agency to help your family.
  3.  I Requested an IEE: What Happens Next? The school district may grant or deny your IEE request. Learn more about that process in this post.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Call Now Button